Pages

Monday, December 19, 2011

IVF and Hyperstimulation

First and foremost...  The actually implantation, that happened on Tuesday last week, went very well.  These two beautiful embryos were implanted and I hung out on the table practically upside down for thirty minutes, all the while having to pee really badly.
If all goes well, our first baby picture
I spent the next two days being waited on hand and foot by my loving husband and helpful Mom.  I seriously was waiting for someone to slap me and tell me to get it myself.  I am not used to not being able to just get up and go get myself a drink, but I was good and called for help.

Then on Thursday and Friday I took it easy and stayed home, except for brunch with my Mom on Friday.  I slept a lot those four days, but considering those two little embryos it was probably for the best.

Saturday morning things changed a bit.  I woke up with sharp pain in my back localized in my right shoulder blade area and a bloated stomach.  At this point I didn't know what was going on, I thought it was gas as I'd been a little constipated.  Tony stayed up with me until the pain subsided enough to sleep and we decided to see how I felt in the morning.

Come morning I felt fine.  Sunday passed without any symptom except a little loose stools.  Perfectly normal after being constipated.  But this morning I woke with that same damned shoulder pain and bloating.  And this time I experienced vomit fest 2011 too.  At this point I woke Tony.  I was in pain, extreme discomfort.  My belly from belly button to right under my rib cage was bloated and hurt, especially if I touched it with anything, from my pj pants waist to my hand.

I called the doctor as soon as they opened and they sent me in for lab work at 9 am.  At 1pm I headed in for my appointment.  Sarah had suggested I get and drink something containing electrolytes so 3/4's of an orange Gatorade later and the drive to the doctors office wasn't nearly so bad, my stomach wasn't soooo painful.

The first thing Sarah told me is that my labs were abnormal.  Hallelujah!  I'm not imaging things.  Second, I have Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome.  And ultrasound later and Dr. C was talking about my swollen ovaries and the slight risk that they might twist!  Yikes.  Guess who's not working for a few days more...

Apparently the the follicles that they ruptured to get to my eggs filled with fluid, aka blood, and that fluid is leaking into my abdomen.  They could even see it on the ultrasound.  They gave me a medication called cabergoline to take every night at bedtime until they tell me otherwise.  It will help lower my prolactin level which is partially responsible for this problem.

The shoulder pain is from a nerve that runs from my abdomen to my shoulder and is called deferred pain.   Bottom line is I can't do much for that extreme discomfort.  Drink lots of electrolytes, at least 1 liter a day, eat a diet high in protein, and take my medicine. 

I have a follow up on Wednesday.  I will also find out if the IVF worked that day.  Cross your fingers for me that everything works like it should!


No comments:

Post a Comment