Pages

Sunday, October 2, 2011

An Awesome Discovery

First off, I'm back home.  Yeah!!!  My Mom came home on Friday and I was able to sleep in my own bed and wake up next to Tony for the first time in ten days.  I am so happy to be home.  Every morning Frankie greets me at the bedroom door when I get up, I really missed that.  I will not miss having to walk Sally in the pouring rain (which happened four times.)

I had to work on Friday from 10 to 7pm.  I left work right on time and saw an amazing site.
A double rainbow!  I've never seen one before.  I did a little research and learned that the two rainbows are mirror images of each other.  Its kind of hard to see but the green on the bottom rainbow is at the bottom and on the top one its at the top.  Yup, mirror images.  The other cool thing is that I could see the whole arch of both rainbows.  Most times I can only see one end or the other.  Of course I didn't have a camera and this is a cell phone photo.

I kind of felt like I was meant to see this. It filled me with hope.  Hope for a baby.  I looked up what double rainbows are supposed to mean and got two different meanings:

According to Feng Shui writer Lillian Too, a double rainbow is a sign from the cosmic Universe that you are about to have something great fall into your lap, and that one good thing will lead to another.
The Osho Energy Transformation Institute says a double rainbow is the symbol of transformation.

So that night I went to bed back at home filled with hope.  Saturday I headed back to work and decided to run a few test claims to get a better idea of how much the fertility medications are going to cost us.  I started with Follistim 900.  That's the highest strength of the medication.  Cash price of this is over $2,400.  With my insurance it is only $30!  Oh my goodness!

Medication costs were half of our total fertility bill. Half.  But if they end up only being $30 a piece, we only need to raise a little over $3,000 instead of $6,000!  This is FANTASTIC news!  This is much more achievable.  Much more reasonable.   I also ran two more test claims and found a $2,300 medication was only $5 and a $500 medication was $30.  I'll take a $30 co-pay any day!

I called Tony from work to share the good news. He wondered if it was a mistake.  It does seem to good to be true.  It isn't a mistake, I had claim numbers (proof of a paid claim.)  But there is a catch.  The medications count towards my $10,000 lifetime fertility benefits.  So while I may not be shoveling out thousands of dollars on medications, my insurance company is adding up the contracted prices.  These are generally less than cash prices, but not by a lot.

So Monday morning I am going to call a specialty pharmacy and see what their cash prices are and what my insurance tells them they will cost.  See specialty pharmacies get special rates on the medications they stock.  So their cash prices are going to be less.  I know one medication is $127 and change at my pharmacy, and through specialty it is only $89.  I may not be able to go through specialty for everything (because timing is very critical and sometimes you can't wait for a shipment,) but whatever I can get from them will help.

No comments:

Post a Comment