Pages

Thursday, October 6, 2011

I almost committed a double homicide but Limp Bizket saved me...

Tuesday I was in a mood.  A rather black one at that.  We have a newly transferred (from another store and another department) employee in my pharmacy.  We'll call him RS.  RS had worked in our pharmacy for close to a week before we figured out he didn't have his state license.  Oops.  The state of Indiana requires you to be licensed to legally work in a pharmacy, and in July they started requiring a background check with finger printing.

RS wasn't told by his old store about this background check so after sending in his application it sat in limbo waiting for a background check that never happened.  I'd taked to RS two weeks before he started at our location and asked if he'd gotten his license yet.  He told me no, but that his payment had been deducted just a few days ago.  I took that as a sign that everything was okay, I mean they wouldn't take his money if it wasn't, right?  Wrong.

I never thought to ask if he'd done his background check.  And I unfortunately assumed that he'd tell us if he never got his license.  So it was something of a shock when on his fourth day (I'd only worked with him once before) I went to print his license and saw "application pending."  Why had no one checked this before?  How did this slip through the cracks?

So now we are smack dab in the middle of the flu shot and fall illness season and I've lost my only other regular tech.  Not to mention he's still not trained 100% and now we have to stop training and wait for his license.

Two days after I discovered this we sent him for his background check.  We checked with the licensing agency the same day to see how long it will take, only to learn he filled out his application wrong so his background check was wrong too!  Okay, now I am starting to lose confidence in our new tech.  But it's too late now, so we have him redo both the application and the background check. This time it's done right.  And then we wait....

And while we are waiting we are back to being short handed and extra stressed.  I had to change my schedule day to day as I feverishly checked his license status multiple times a day.  It took over 10 days from the date of discovery, but I finally saw the magical "expires September 2012" and our wait was over.

Sunday was his first day back.  My manager assured me he had finished all of his computer training during his hiatus and that he would get him back up to speed between Sunday and Monday.  I was off both days so I kicked backed and enjoyed my days off, never imagining the horror that would await me Tuesday afternoon...

My work day started at 12:30 pm.  I walked into what can only be described as utter and complete chaos.  Our am pharmacist on Tuesdays is slow and computer challenged.  I sometime have trouble keeping up, but RS has a night class on Tuesdays so I had no choice.  Between the new-guy-who-forgot-everything and computer illiterate-slower-than-dirt-pharmacist I had quite a mess to clean up.

So of course I took charge and started ordering people around.  Do this, not that.  You go do this, that can wait.  Get that patient at the counter, I'll fix this insurance problem.  And with each passing moment where I had to tell someone who is supposed to be my boss what to do, my anger grew.  With each moment I had to stop and show RS basic things that he knew and was supposed to have been refreshed on over the past two days, my anger grew.  Everytime I had to stop cleaning up their mess to get a patient that no one would wait on, my anger grew.  It became rage.  And I really wanted to commit double murder.

Instead I took a deep breath, dug my nails into my palms, and sung the lyrics (in my head) to some of my favorite angry songs.  Chevelle's "The Red" is a good one.  Anything from Nine Inch Nails "Downward Spiral" is good too.  And despite the fact I really don't like Limp Bizkit or Fred Durst, they have my number one favorite.  Break Stuff.

Its just one a those days when you dont wanna wake up
Everything is f***ed, everybody sucks
You dont really know why, but you wanna justify
Ripping someones head off
No human contact, and if you interact your life is on contract
Your best bet is to stay away mother f***er
Its just wanna those days
REFRAIN:
Its all about the he said she said bullshit
I think you better quit, letting shit slip
Or you'll be leaving with a fat lip
Its all about the he said she said bullshit
I think you better quit, talkin that shit
Its just one a those days
Feeling like a fraight train
First one to complain, leaves with a blood stain
Damn right, Im a maniac
You better watch your back
Cuz im f***in up your program
And if you feel stuck up, you just mucked up
Next in line to get f***ed up,
Your best bet is to stay away mother f***er
Its just one of those days
REFRAIN
So come and get it
I feel like shit
My suggestion is to keep your distance
Cuz right now I'm dangerous
We've all felt like shit, been treated like shit
All those mother f***ers
That wanna step up
I hope you know I'm like a chainsaw
I'll skin your ass raw
And if my day keeps going this way I just might
Break something tonight
I'm like a chainsaw
I'll skin your ass raw
And if my day keeps going this way I just might
Break your f***in face tonight
Gimmie something to break
How bout your f***in face
I hope you know I'm like a chainsaw (what)
A chainsaw (what)
A mother f***in chainsaw (what)
So come and get it
REFRAIN
So come and get it
*********

If that isn't an angry song, I don't know what is.  And somehow, it always makes me feel better.  I think it's like venting to myself.  Telling myself it's okay to be angry, furious even, that it happens to everyone.  Heck, it happens enough that there are a ton of songs about anger.

Eminem even made a career out of his angry rants.  And while my anger may not make millions, it is okay, normal even.  Even the irrational kind, as long as you get over it and don't take it out on someone else.

After about two hours we were back on track.  And my anger had fizzled out.  I got my normal positive attitude back and started the process of retraining RS.  When I came in yesterday, he seemed to be doing much better, and there were no messes for me to clean up, thank goodness!  I did mention how bad things were to my manager and how close I'd come to murder.  Of course my manager laughed. Apparently I am not very scary.

I'll take that as a good thing!

No comments:

Post a Comment