Pages

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Surgery went fine

My surgery went fine.  We got to the Surgery Center at 6:30 am, uggg, so early!  My surgery was scheduled for 7:45 am, and while I don't know exactly what time I went in, I know it was pretty close.  The scariest part was walking into the operating room.  The room was bigger than I imagined and after laying on the table the flurry of activity around me was very disconcerting.  One person was attaching sensors, another person was getting my arms and legs in the correct positions.  And the anesthesiologist was talking to me the whole time, asking me questions about Tony.  I really appreciated the distraction.  The last thing I remember is asking the Dr if it was normal to feel kind of strange.  Then I woke up in recovery.

Dr. C told Tony that I was only under for 15 minutes and that things went wonderfully, he even showed Tony pictures.  He didn't anticipate any trouble, and there really hasn't been any.  I hardly had any pain or discomfort yesterday, just some mild cramps and lingering fatigue.  I napped on the couch from 10 am until 2 pm and still went to bed at 9 pm.  I apparently was catheterized and that's been the source of most of my discomfort, a burning sensation during urination.  I upped my water intake and had Tony get me some cranberry juice and that sensation has mostly passed now.  I bled a little the first day, today its mostly discharge from the Betadine they used on my cervix.

All in all the experience wasn't bad at all.  The procedure I had was called a hysteroscopy with polypectomy in case anyone wants the official name.

I also gave myself my very first injection today.  10 units of Lupron in the belly.  I was a little hesitant at first, its one thing to read about injections and quite another to actually do it.  My first try wasn't quick enough and didn't have conviction, so I didn't break the skin at all.  So I tried again, with feeling.  And it didn't even hurt!  Not until I pushed the plunger did I feel anything, and that sensation was just strange, not painful.  The needle was so tiny.  I draw up flu shots at work from time to time and those needles are huge compared to these.  I could barely even see the bevel on the needle, that's how tiny they are.  I didn't bleed from the injection site at all.  Quick and pretty much painless, a good first experience.

Frankie has been my constant companion for the last two days.  He's napped with me and napped on me and been a great help making me feel better.  Everyone should have a sweet kitty like him after surgery to help you get better faster!

No comments:

Post a Comment