Pages

Monday, September 12, 2011

30,000 in the hole

Today, I had a patient come to pick up some fertility medications.  She and I got to talking and she confessed that she is $30,000 in the hole and as of yet, has had absolutely no luck.  She went on to tell me that she already has two boys from a previous marriage but her current husband has no children, so this is all for him.  It really sounded like she could care less.

Now, with the size of the rock on her finger I'd say that money is no object for them, but still...  If you already have two children and don't really care if you have more, why go through it all?  Why spend all of that money?  Why put yourself through it all?  Fertility challenges can easily turn into relationship challenges.  I've heard it said that there are two issues that will kill any marriage, money and children.  And fertility issues are both, rolled into one.

Maybe she's just tired and disillusioned.  Maybe its her husband's dream to have a child of his own and she wants to grant that wish.  Maybe its none of my darn business.  Either way I wish them luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment