Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

The power of words

You may not have noticed, but I really try to avoid using the word "infertility."  Instead I try to refer to my situation as a "fertility challenge."  It may not seem like such a big difference to most, but to me it feels like two different worlds.

No one can deny that words have power.  Back in high school, if enough people started calling someone a nerd, they then became a nerd in the eyes of the school's population.  And you've all probably heard that expression that if you say something out loud you make it real.  When something unbelievable happens, most people tend to repeat it out loud over and over.  It makes it real.

Infertility means unable to conceive...  Barren...  I don't want to make that real.  I am not barren!  It is not impossible for me to have a baby.  It just isn't as simple as it would be for someone else.  I refuse to say that I can not have a child, not at this point anyways.  The fat lady has not sung.  There is still hope.  It just requires some medical intervention to make it happen. To make me ovulate...

If I were younger and that damned biological clock wasn't ticking away, I might have time to try to reverse this on my own, without medical intervention.  If I had time to lose a lot of weight I might start ovulating all on my own.  But I don't have years to work on this.  Not with that 35 year deadline staring at me.

So I am fertility challenged.  I can get pregnant, I just need help.

Because in the end, it's all about how you see something. 

No comments:

Post a Comment