Pages

Sunday, September 4, 2011

A quick word on Apes

Today Tony and I picked up my Mom and went for lunch at Ted's.  I had a new item on the menu.  The Avalon.  Bison burger with gruyere, bleu cheese, smoked bacon, garlic aioli, arugula, and caramelized onions on an onion roll.  (I had them hold the caramelized onions to avoid the reflux onions always seem to cause me.)  Talk about yum!  I hope they make it a permanent item!

After lunch we went to the theater to see Rise of the Planet of the Apes.  The reviews were good.  Even the woman who cut my hair liked it.  And while I can't say I didn't like it, I can say I left with an empty feeling.

The special effects were amazing, and it didn't seem like there were doing things just because they could.  Every special effect (except for one that really stands out in my mind) seems to move the story forward.  This is something a lot of movies forget, don't do cool special effects just because you can, make them a part of the story.  Make them bring something to the story.  Tony and I talk about all the movies we've seen where it seemed like they wrote the plot around the special effects, or they deviated from the story just to do some cool shit..

The acting was good.  The story was interesting.  It is sci-fi which is always a favorite of mine.  But I just never felt that "involved."  I never really felt a bond with any of the characters.  There were a few instances that didn't make a lot of sense, but over all it was a good movie.  Just not great.

On the way home from dropping my Mom off we stopped at Target and picked up a monster DVD rack to hold our extensive collection.  Tony sat on the floor and assembled while we watched Game of Thrones (on TIVO.)  I'm only on the second book, but Tony's just started the fifth and he loves the series.  The HBO show is really good too!

Our new DVD rack, all pretty and alphabetized.


Tomorrow we are heading back to my Mom's for a bbq.  Cheddarwurst on the grill with corn on the cob and potato salad.  Little mini eclairs for dessert.  I personally can't wait for the potato salad.  My Mom makes the BEST EVER.  Her secret is two fold: little red potatoes quartered (unpeeled) and the sauce part, mayo and sour cream with a generous amount of dill.  I kind of hate when she makes it because I can't seem to help myself.  The last time she sent me home with left overs they didn't last the night... hehe.

No comments:

Post a Comment