Pages

Sunday, September 11, 2011

My Grandmother's Memories

My maternal Grandmother passed away way over ten years ago.  One of the things she left behind was a big box of photographs and her postcard collection.  She had hundreds of postcards from all over the US and some from overseas thanks to my Uncle who was in the Airforce.  Yesterday while my Mom and I were sorting those boxes of pictures I came across the postcards I got when things were divided up.  I love looking at the old ones, the ones that are sketches from various places in the US.

Some of these are so pretty I've decided to make them into some wall art.  So today I spent most of my day at the scanner.  My plan was to get them all scanned in and touch up the discoloration and stains, find a way to fix the holes, and them get them printed in matte finish.  Them I'm going to make my own frames.  Our living room is so bright that all of our framed photos are pure glare, so I'm going to skip the glass, these are just copies after all, no need to worry about fading or dust.  Then I'm just going to take some card stock and make some matting, and some trim to make the frame.  I think a grouping of a few of these will be beautiful.  We shall see how well this really turns out once I complete one or two, but these postcards are odd sizes so standard frames just won't work.  Here are some of my favorites from her collection.








In addition to these beautiful postcards, she also left a lot of old family photos.  I don't know who everyone is in all of them but some of them are amazing.  Here are a few of my favorites.

My Mom


My Grandmother


My Grandfather


My Grandmother

My Grandfather

My Grandfather
My Grandfather passed away when I was in sixth grade from cancer.  He'd been a painter (house not art) all of this life.  Its impossible not to think that lead-based paints were to blame.  Looking at these photos its hard not to see his face in my Mom's.  My Mom tells me he had a great talent for drawing.  I truthfully remember very little about him.  But these pictures are a concrete reminder of who my Grandfather was for me.  Aren't old photos wonderful?

No comments:

Post a Comment